How to download with Showmax: everything you need to know
We answer your questions about downloading shows to watch offline.
One of the niftiest features of the Showmax app for smartphones and tablets is that you can download series episodes and movies straight to your device, and have them available for offline viewing later.
It’s a great way to save data and means you won’t be at a loss for entertainment when out in the middle of nowhere with a slow or no internet connection.
Here are the questions most often asked about downloading with Showmax to help you out if you’re stuck.
1. How do I download with Showmax?
Showmax downloads are available on Apple and Android smartphones and tablets. Once downloaded, watch your downloads offline – no data needed.
- Go to showmax.com to sign up.
- Download the Showmax app on your smartphone or tablet for either iOS or Android.
- Open the Showmax app, sign in, and choose the series episode or movie you want to watch offline.
- Click on the DOWNLOAD button. On the smartphone app, it’s usually an icon of a cloud with an arrow pointing downwards.
- Select Download quality – Low Quality, Standard Quality, Good Quality and High Quality – To use as little data and as little space as possible, select Low or Standard Quality. These low-quality options are perfect for small screens.
- Downloads should start immediately.
- Enjoy watching offline once the download is complete.
2. What devices can I download onto? Can I download Showmax on my laptop?
It’s not possible to download Showmax series and movies onto your laptop, smart TV, gaming console or Explora.
Showmax downloads are only available using the Showmax app on compatible iOS devices (iPhones and iPads) and Android smartphone and tablets.
As long as you have the latest version of the Showmax app installed, you’ll be good to go.
3. How many series or movies can I download at once?
Download up to 25 different series episodes or movies at at time. Note that one series episode counts as one title – you won’t be able to download an entire season or series at once. To maximise the space on your device, make sure to select Low Quality or Standard Quality before downloading, as these will result in the smallest possible file sizes being downloaded.
4. How long do I get to keep downloaded shows for?
Each episode or movie will stay on your device for 30 days. After 30 days, it will be automatically deleted. You will be able to see exactly when each title expires, so it’s totally transparent. You won’t lose any of your downloads unless you uninstall the Showmax app on your device.
Once you start watching an episode or movie, you’ll have 48 hours to finish it before it is deleted. So if your kids have already watched the episode of Peppa Pig you’ve downloaded for them onto your iPad, they will only have 48 hours in which to watch it again.
5. Where will I find my downloads in the app?
Click on the “hamburger” menu (the three horizontal lines) next to Home in the Showmax app.
Select Downloads from the drop-down menu and this will take you to the series episodes and movies you have downloaded.
6. Can I see my downloads on my phone when I log into Showmax on my tablet?
Yes. When you open your downloads in the app on your tablet, you will see three tabs: On this device, On other devices and Others.
- On this device will show you the shows you’ve downloaded on your tablet.
- On other devices will show you the shows on other devices (including your phone) that you’ve downloaded.
- Others will show you the shows that other users of your Showmax account have downloaded.
7. Will my shows continue to download if I close the Showmax app while downloading?
Yes, they will continue to download in the background.
8. If I lose internet connection while downloading, will my shows continue to download?
No. By default, downloads are only possible on the Showmax app over a Wi-Fi connection. Once you are back in an area with Wi-Fi access, your downloads will pick right back up again.
But if you would like to change your app settings to allow downloads over your mobile data connection, go to the “hamburger” drop-down menu again.
- Select Settings.
- Change Video Downloads from “Over Wi-Fi only” to “Over Wi-Fi or mobile network”. Note that doing so will incur data charges.
9. How does downloading save data?
In two ways. One, if you only download over a free Wi-Fi connection, such as at a coffee shop or mall, you won’t use any of your own data. And two, you can now watch your shows offline, which, of course, won’t use any data either.
10. Why can’t I see my downloads when I open the Showmax app?
You need to be signed in to see your downloads. Sign in, then try again.
11. How much data do you need to download?
A 30-minute show will use between 80MB to 500MB, depending on the quality you choose. A movie will use around 500MB of data. On mobile devices, the Low Quality setting is perfect for the smaller screen size.
Use Download Manager or go to Downloads to see what’s been downloaded. View what’s on your device as well as on other devices connected to your account.
Got a question that wasn’t answered here?
Check out the FAQ section of the Showmax website.
Don’t have Showmax yet?