How to download with Showmax: everything you need to know
We answer your questions about downloading shows to watch offline.
One of the niftiest features of the Showmax app for smartphones and tablets is that you can download series episodes and movies straight to your device, and have them available for offline viewing later. It’s a great way to save data and means you won’t be at a loss for entertainment when out in the middle of nowhere with a slow or no internet connection.
Here are the questions most often asked about downloading with Showmax to help you out if you’re stuck.
1. How do I download with Showmax?
- If you don’t already have a Showmax account, go to showmax.com to sign up.
- Download the Showmax app on your smartphone or tablet for either iOS or Android.
- Open the Showmax app and choose the series episode or movie you want to watch offline.
- Click on the DOWNLOAD button. On the smartphone app, it’s usually represented by an icon of a cloud with an arrow pointing downwards, to the right of the episode name, above the preview screen. (On a tablet, you’ll see a blue DOWNLOAD button next to the blue PLAY NOW button.)
- You’ll get a menu with download quality options to choose from – Low Quality, Standard Quality, Good Quality and High Quality – depending on data capability or space on your device. To use as little data and as little space as possible, select Low or Standard Quality, especially if you’re downloading cartoons for your kids, or anything to watch on your smartphone screen. These low-quality options are perfect for small screens.
- Your download should start immediately. You are now free to enjoy your viewing offline once the download is complete.
For downloading specifically to a tablet, read this post. (The process is the same as the above, but you’ll get more detail from that post.)
2. What devices can I download onto?
All compatible iOS devices (iPhones and iPads) and Android smartphone and tablets. As long as you have the latest version of the Showmax app installed, you’ll be good to go.
You can’t download shows from Showmax onto a laptop, PC or smart TV. You’ll stream directly from Showmax instead. Read more here.
3. How many titles can I download at once?
You’ll be able to download 25 different series episodes or movies at at time. Note that one series episode counts as one title – you won’t be able to download an entire season or series at once. To maximise the space on your device, make sure to select Low Quality or Standard Quality before downloading, as these will result in the smallest possible file sizes being downloaded, which means you’ll have space for more!
4. How long do I get to keep downloaded shows for?
Each episode or movie will stay on your device for 30 days. After 30 days, it will be automatically deleted. You will be able to see exactly when each title expires, so it’s totally transparent. You won’t suddenly lose one of your downloads unless you uninstall the Showmax app on your device.
However, once you start watching an episode or movie, you’ll have 48 hours to finish it before it is deleted. So if your kids have already watched the episode of Peppa Pig you’ve downloaded for them onto your iPad, they will only have 48 hours in which to watch it again.
5. Where will I find my downloads in the app?
Click on the “hamburger” menu (the three horizontal lines) next to Home in the Showmax app.
Select Downloads from the drop-down menu and this will take you to the series episodes and movies you have downloaded.
6. Can I see my downloads on my phone when I log into Showmax on my tablet?
Yes. When you open your downloads in the app on your tablet, you will see three tabs: On this device, On other devices and Others.
On this device will show you the shows you’ve downloaded on your tablet.
On other devices will show you the shows on other devices (including your phone) that you’ve downloaded.
Others will show you the shows that other users of your Showmax account have downloaded.
7. Will my shows continue to download if I close the Showmax app while downloading?
Yes, they will continue to download in the background.
8. If I lose internet connection while downloading, will my shows continue to download?
No. By default, downloads are only possible on the Showmax app over a Wi-Fi connection. Once you are back in an area with Wi-Fi access, your downloads will pick right back up again.
But if you would like to change your app settings to allow downloads over your mobile data connection, go to the “hamburger” drop-down menu again.
Then change Video Downloads from “Over Wi-Fi only” to “Over Wi-Fi or mobile network. Note that doing so will incur data charges.
9. How does downloading save data?
In two ways. One, if you only download over a free Wi-Fi connection, such as at a coffee shop or mall, you won’t use any of your own data. And two, you can now watch your shows offline, which, of course, won’t use any data either.
10. Why can’t I see my downloads when I open the Showmax app?
You need to be signed in to see your downloads. Sign in, then try again.
Got a question that wasn’t answered here?
Don’t have Showmax yet?