Succession S1-2Watch full episodes now
Filthy rich media tycoon Logan Roy (Brian Cox) is one of the most influential people in the world. But even he can’t escape nature – so when he discovers his time on Earth is running out, he has to appoint a family member to succeed him at the head of his mega-company, Waystar Royco.
The trouble is, all his family members and close associates are just about as terrible as he is – and they all want their cut. Logan might be ill but he’s not giving up anything without a fight.
As the new season picks up, the Roys are struggling to retain control of their empire in a rapidly changing media landscape. There’s been a betrayal, and all bets are off as to who will succeed Logan. Plus, the Roys meet their liberal counterparts and Logan tries to orchestrate his biggest acquisition yet.
Season 1 of Succession was described by the Guardian as “King Lear … updated for 2018, with the monarchy exchanged for a media empire, and Shakespearean soliloquies replaced with f-bombs”.
Season 2 of Succession is currently #3 on Rotten Tomatoes’ list of the Best TV Shows of 2019 So Far behind only Fleabag and Barry.
Oscar-winner Holly Hunter (The Piano) joins the cast in Season 2 as Rhea Jarrell, the CEO of a rival media giant. Other new faces this season include 2019 Emmy winner Cherry Jones (The Handmaid’s Tale) and Golden Globe nominee Danny Huston (Wolverine).
There’s been no shortage of superlatives used to describe Season 2 of the show:
- The New Statesman: “Just about the best thing I’ve ever seen on television”
- The Globe and Mail: “the kind of masterpiece no movie can match”
- The UK’s Sunday Times: “Exceptional. Nothing succeeds like this drama”
- The Guardian: “As ruthless and flawless as ever”
- The Hollywood Reporter: “The Emmys did recognise Succession but not nearly enough… This series is doing something special and the rich rewards will be coming.”