How does Showmax work with DStv Premium?Sign up now
Want to get Showmax at no extra cost as a DStv Premium subscriber but aren’t quite sure how … or why? Your questions, answered!
Showmax is now included in DStv Premium subscriptions at no extra charge. That’s right, there’s no cost and absolutely no hidden catch. Plus, DStv Compact subscribers get Showmax for just R49.
Like all the best deals in life, it’s a pretty simple arrangement. Here are the details.
How to add Showmax to your DStv account
The process is slightly different depending on whether you’ve signed up to Showmax yet or not, so we’ve broken it down in two sections below.
1. I’m not yet a Showmax subscriber
- Visit the DStv self-service website.
- Sign in with your Connect ID.
- Select My Products.
- Choose the DStv Premium package.
- Click Add Showmax on the Showmax banner.
- Accept the quotation.
Once you’ve activated Showmax on the DStv Self Service website, you’ll be redirected to the Showmax website to sign up. Start watching your favourite shows at www.showmax.com, through your connected Explora or using the Showmax app on phones and tablets!
Your entire family can watch Showmax on up to 5 devices.
2. I’m already a Showmax subscriber
- Sign in to the Showmax website.
- Select My Account.
- Manage Subscription.
- Add to DStv.
For more information on how to add Showmax to your DStv account, click here.
What is Showmax?
Showmax is a streaming video-on-demand service that gives subscribers unlimited access to the best local and international series episodes, movies, documentaries and kids’ shows. On Showmax, you’ll find series such as HBO’s Succession, Watchmen, Insecure, Little Fires Everywhere and more. New shows and movies are added every single week.
And the best thing about Showmax is that you can watch it all whenever and wherever you like, on pretty much any device that’s connected to the internet, with no ads and no interruptions.
Why do I need a Showmax account if I have DStv Connect ID?
For one thing, we need to be sure you’ve accepted the Ts & Cs of using Showmax so that you can legally watch all the amazing shows. Also, having a Showmax account means you can access your fave series and movies on all your mobile devices, as well as via the DStv Explora.
Help, I’ve already added my Showmax account to another bill!
- If your Showmax subscription is currently being billed through one of our partners (e.g. bank, cellphone network), you may not see all the normal payment options available to you on the Showmax website’s payment screen.
- To cancel this type of subscription, contact the company that is billing you for Showmax (we, unfortunately, do not have access to their billing systems).
- Once this is done, you will be able to see the full list of payment options available on the payment screen on the Showmax website. (This is where other partners that allow you to add Showmax to your billing with them will appear.)
- Now you’re free to add Showmax to your DStv account. Follow the steps above, under “I’m already a Showmax subscriber”.
How do I get Showmax on my Explora?
Right, so you’ve signed up and are now ready to watch Showmax at no added cost on your DStv Explora. Here’s how.
- First, make sure your Explora is connected to the internet. To find out how, visit dstv.com/getconnected and select “DStv Connected Explora” from the slider in the middle of the page. (We recommend an uncapped connection of at least 10Mbps for the best viewing experience, and 2Mbps is the absolute minimum speed.)
- To access Showmax on your Explora, push the blue DStv button on your Explora remote control.
- Scroll to “Watch now” and select “Showmax”.
- Navigate to the content you’d like to watch and push OK when you’ve found the show you’ve been looking for.
- You will be prompted to sign into your Showmax account. If you don’t have an account, sign up at Showmax.com
- Once you’ve signed in, there will be a 30-second countdown before the show is ready to watch.
Did you know you can log in and out of Showmax and see your Showmax history using the Explora remote? Check it out:
- Log in and log out of Showmax on the Explora by pressing the profile button on the remote.
- Press the alt button while on the Showmax screen and access the history of content which has been watched on Showmax.
Please note an active DStv Subscription is required to watch Showmax on the Explora.
What if I’m a DStv subscriber but don’t have an Explora?
The beauty of using Showmax on your Explora is that you stream shows directly onto your big TV screen without having to upgrade to a smart TV, so it’s definitely worth the investment.
But if you don’t have one, don’t worry: DStv Premium subscribers don’t need Exploras to enjoy the binge-fest that is Showmax. Simply follow the steps above and then start watching on an internet-connected device. Watch on a smartphone or tablet by downloading the Showmax app – choose to stream or to download shows to watch offline later. The great thing about using Showmax on a mobile device is that you can watch your series while you’re on the go – on a road trip, in a queue, in a doctor’s waiting room, or on a plane. Another alternative is to access Showmax on the web browser of your computer or laptop.